Thursday, October 27, 2011

relinquishing the hot, angry urge to be right.

When one is argumentative, one is hoping to win the argument. I have observed that any person arguing for his or her own righteousness should reach an agreement that only one opinion or statement is the only complete truth, and this seems to me to be the underlying reason why fights continue. When one sustains a fight, ones' words and action may be used to hurt others. One is often unrelenting, one does not like to back down, one wishes to sharpen ones blade against the blade of his or her opponent.

I have found many people who want to fight with me. Sometimes I have a strong urge to fight against myself or another person. Part of me becomes hot and angered that somebody else thinks that I am wrong. It is painful for the ego to seen as the wrong one.

However, I believe I have discovered a supreme joy in allowing myself to smile at my opponent, while smiling inwardly, and understanding that it doesn't matter to me who must "be right,". I ask myself to release the desire to end up the victor in situations. If whatever my opinion may be is so damned important, then i shall never feel the need to be understood as "right," by others, as long as i may prove it to myself. There is a cool, calm growth that follows relinquishing the need to be seen as the most right.

No comments:

Post a Comment